Batchelor, G H
GEORGE HENRY BATCHELOR
Remembered with honour Adanac Military Cemetery: Plot IV, Row B, Grave 29.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action during a successful attack at Achiet-le-Grand. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Jane (nee BROWN) and the late Thomas BATCHELOR; husband of Edith Mary (nee SMITH) BATCHELOR.
His parents married 7 August 1876 at St Peter’s, Berkhamsted, Herts. Thomas died 1916 in Watford aged 66, and was buried 29 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Jane died 1918 in Watford aged 70, and was buried 11 November, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
George was born 1884 in Watford, and attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 19 January 1891 to 23 June 1898. He married 24 June 1905 at St Paul’s, Langleybury, Herts; they had at least two children. He resided in Watford. Edith never remarried, she died 26 September 1940 in Watford aged 57, and was buried 2 October in North Watford Cemetery.
On the 1891 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, a grocer’s assistant aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a gardener aged 26, he still lived in Watford, with his wife and two children.
Date of death13/03/1917
Age at death32
Place of death
NotesHis brother Henry died 1 October 1918 and also features in this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)