Remembered with honour Deit El Belah War Cemetery: Row A, Grave 35/
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 4 August 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 5 May 1917; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 13 April 1918 and 12 April 1919.
Son of Thomas WIlliam and Sarah (nee STEVENS) ENGLAND.
His parents married 29 November 1884 at St Mary’s, Watford. Thomas died 1928 in Watford aged 64, and was buried 28 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Sarah died 1959 in Watford aged 94, and was buried 22 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
George was born 16 August 1898 in Watford, and baptised 23 September 1898 at St John the Evangelist, Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 1 September 1908 to 27 August 1912.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school and a grocer’s boy aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of death14/04/1917
Age at death18
Place of death
NotesRecorded as Hertfordshire Regiment Royal Field Artillery in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)