Squire, L P
LEONARD PERCY SQUIRE
Remembered with honour Lincoln (Newport) Cemetery: Plot C, Row D Red, Grave 24.
He enlisted in London, and was formerly Private T.R.10/54304 53rd Battalion Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex Regiment). He was posted to No. 1 Cadet Wing, Royal Flying Corps, at St Leonard’s-on-Sea, with effect from 1 January 1918. He was flying solo and looping when the tail plane broke and the machine crashed to earth at Scampton, Lincs; he was killed. His next-of-kin was his father of Maida Vale, London.
Son of Percy Cowley and Louisa Oakley (nee DYSON) SQUIRE.
His parents married 14 September 1889 at St Mary’s, Long Ditton, Surrey. Percy died 8 September 1941 in Kingston-on-Thames, Surrey, aged 76; Louisa died 1957 in the Surrey North district aged 91.
Leonard was born 10 December 1898 in Balham, London, and baptised 19 February 1899 at St Mary’s, Balham. He attended Watford Grammar School from September 1911 to March 1916. He was a clerk at the Kleinworth Loan Co, London E.C., from 27 March 1916 to 22 February 1917, and resided in Maida Vale.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Ruislip, Middx, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he lived in Rickmansworth, Herts, with his parents and three siblings.
Unit34th Training Depot Station
Date of death23/08/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)