Payne, F G
FREDERICK GILLIES PAYNE
Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot A, Row 2, Grave 151.
He has no medals, and died at the V.A.D. Hospital, Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex. Unfortunately, Frederick’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Frederick in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 13 July 1918; plus articles about him in the issues dated 20 July 1918 and 28 December 1918.
Son of the late Sir Salusbury Gillies and Dame Catherine/ Katherine Ann (nee Chadwick) PAYNE; husband of Mabel (nee OAKES) PAYNE.
His parents married 2 February 1858 at St Mary’s, Prestwich, Lancs. Salusbury died 10 December 1893 at Cavendish Square, Middx, aged 64; Catherine died 7 December 1902 in Torquay, Devon, aged 65.
Frederick was born 7 November 1864 in Sharnbrook, Beds, and baptised 15 December 1864 at St Peter’s, Sharnbrook. He married 14 October 1897 at Christ Church, Southgate, Middx; they had two children. He was buried 13 July.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1871 Census, aged 6 he lived in Sharnbrook, with his father and three siblings. On the 1881 Census, a scholar aged 16, he was a boarder at Rugby School, Warks. On the 1891 Census, he was in America. On the 1901 Census, a manufacturer of folding cardboard boxes aged 36, he lived in Watford, with his wife and no children. On the 1911 Census, a director of a folding cardboard box company aged 46, he still lived in Watford, with his wife and two children.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)