Chedgey, H W
HERBERT WILLIAM CHEDGEY
Remembered with honour St James Churchyard, Bushey: Old Churchyard 1.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at The County of Middlesex War Hospital, Napsbury, Herts. Unfortunately, Herbert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of George and Kate Maria (nee EVANS) CHEDGEY of Bushey, Herts.
His parents married 3 October 1893 at Christ Church, Hornsey, Middx. Kate died 1938 in Watford aged 69, and was buried 23 November at St James’, Bushey; George died 1953 in Bushey aged 83, and was buried 15 May, also at St James.
Herbert was born 6 February 1896 in Highgate, Middx, and baptised 12 April 1896 at Christ Church, Hornsey. He resided in Bushey; had worked for Messrs Andre and Sleigh, and was buried 9 July 1917.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 15 he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death05/07/1917
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)