Remembered with honour Wimereux Communal Cemetery: Plot IX, Row C, Grave 2.
He enrolled 5 July 1916 at Dover, Kent, having enlisted in Watford: a hairdresser aged 30, 5’9″ tall, C of E, of Watford. He served at Home 5 July 1916 to 25 April 1917; then in France 29 April 1917 to 25 May 1917, when as a result of a fractured left forearm sustained in an accident whilst carrying shells, he was invalided to England on H.S. St David, having previously been admitted to 2/26 Lancashire Field Ambulance 22 May 1917 then to 13 General Hospital, Boulogne, 23 May 1917. After recovering he was sent back to France 4 November 1917 where he died of gangrene at 32 Stationary Hospital, Wimereux. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals.
Son of George HAMMOND of Wellingborough, Northants, and the late Charlotte Jane (nee MITCHELL) HAMMOND; husband of Elizabeth (nee ARNOLD) HAMMOND of Wellingborough.
His parents married 20 November 1879 at All Saints, Wellingborough. Charlotte died 1910 in the Wellingborough district aged 59; George possibly died 1939 in the Kettering, Northants, district aged 83.
George was born 1886 in Wellingborough, and married 25 July 1909 in Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 4 he lived in Wellingborough, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, a hairdresser’s apprentice aged 14, he still lived in Wellingborough, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, a hairdresser aged 24, he lived in Watford, with his wife and one step-son.
Unit285th Siege Battery
Date of death01/04/1918
Age at death32
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)