Hicks, W J
WILLIAM JOHN HICKS
Remembered with honour St Sever Cemetery Extension: Plot P.VII, Row G, Grave 9A.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Corporal 4123 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medlas, and died of wounds received in action*. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an In Memoriam for William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 5 April 1919.
Son of Thomas and Susan/Susanna (nee SLAUGHTER) HICKS; husband of Laura (nee HAWKES) HICKS.
His parents married 2 October 1875 at St James’, Bushey, Herts. Susanna died 1928 in Watford aged 70, and was buried 31 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Thomas died 1929 in Watford aged 77, and was buried 6 February, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
William was born 30 March 1880 in Bushey, and baptised 30 May 1880 at St James’, Bushey. He married 4 May 1901 at St Mary’s, Watford; they had ten children. Laura remarried 1929 in the Watford district to William JACKSON; she died 1941 in Watford aged 62, and was buried 3 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
On the 1881 Census, aged 1 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 11 he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, a journeyman painter aged 21, he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a house painter aged 31, he still lived in Watford, with his wife and five children.
Date of death02/04/1918
Age at death38
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)