Tingcombe, G C
GEORGE CAREW TINGCOMBE
Remembered with honour Ontario Cemetery: Plot IV, Row A, Grave 32.
He enlisted in London, and was formerly Private 2718 31st Battalion Royal Fusiliers. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of John George Digory and Mary Ann (nee CARTER) TINGCOMBE of Wood Green, Middx; husband of Hilda May (nee CLAYTON) TINGCOMBE of Watford.
His parents married 25 December 1881 at St Luke’s, Chelsea, London. John died 1923 aged 64; Mary died 1939 aged 82; both in the Edmonton, Middx, district.
George was born 12 February 1886 in Chelsea, and baptised 28 March 1886 at St John’s, Chelsea. He married 1907 in the Watford district; they had three children. He resided in Watford. Hilda never remarried and died 1952 in the Watford district aged 63.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 5 he lived in Tottenham, London, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, a draper’s assistant aged 15, he lived in Enfield, Middx, with his grandmother. On the 1911 Census, a drapery assistant aged 25, he still lived in Enfield, with his wife and one child.
Date of death09/05/1917
Age at death31
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)