Coster, G E
GEORGE EDWARD COSTER
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 43 and 45.
He enlisted in Peterborough, Northants; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 25 November 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 21 July 1917; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 15 June 1918.
Son of Edward and Eva (nee WARNER) COSTER of Waterdale, Watford.
His parents married 2 October 1887 at St Peter’s, St Alban’s, Herts. Edward died 21 December 1941 aged 76; Eva died 17 February 1955 aged 88; both in Watford.
George was born 1896 in St Alban’s [not Watford], and baptised 16 February 1896 at All Saints, Leavesden, Herts.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Leavesden, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a telegraph boy aged 15, he lived in Waterdell, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death16/06/1917
Age at death21
Place of death
NotesHis brothers: Harry died 19 February 1917; Bertie died 6 February 1918; Edward died 25 October 1918; and also feature on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)