Brackley, P W
PERCY WALTER BRACKLEY
Remembered with honour Bedford House Cemetery: Enclosure No. 4, Plot XIV, Row D, Grave 16.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 1 May 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Percy’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Percy in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 March 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 8 March 1919.
Son of Thomas and Jane (nee BROWN) BRACKLEY of Watford.
His parents married 1890 in the Amersham, Bucks, district. Jane died 18 October 1940 in Watford aged 75, and was buried 23 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Thomas died 8 December 1944 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 14 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Percy was born 20 December 1898 in Watford, and baptised 19 February 1899 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 14 September 1908 to 8 March 1913. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school and a newsboy aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death08*/03/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)