Hansford, F E
FRANCIS EDWIN HANSFORD
Remembered with honour Bois-Carre British Cemetery: Plot II, Row E, Grave 15.
He attested 30 September 1915 in Winnipeg, Manitoba: a house painter aged 31, 6′ tall, C of E, his next-of-kin his mother of Oxhey, Herts. He was killed in action at Willerval.
Son of Arthur Edgar and Rhoda (nee CLARK) HANSFORD of Oxhey.
His parents married 30 January 1877 at St Michael’s, Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset. Rhoda died 1929 in the Watford district aged 82; Arthur died 1934 in Hull, Yorks, aged 85, and was buried 28 March at St James’, Bushey, Herts.
Francis was born 29 September 1884 in Sligo, Ireland, and emigrated to Canada 30 April 1903 aboard the Allen Line Ionian Liverpool to Quebec: a labourer aged 19.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 6 he lived in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a plumber’s boy aged 16, he lived in Shepherd’s Bush, London, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
Unit8th Battalion, Manitoba Regiment
Date of death13/04/1917
Age at death32
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)