Sabin, G H R
GEORGE HARRY ROBERTS SABIN
Remembered with honour Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery: Plot I, Row A, Grave 17.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 July 1915, and was killed in action during the capture of La Folie Farm and La Bergere near Monchy-le-Preux 12* April 1917. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 5 May 1917.
Son of George Henry and Anstiss (nee STANLEY) SABIN of Watford.
His parents married 22 June 1888 at St Jude’s, Bethnal Green, London. George died 1948 aged 81; Anstiss died 1953 aged 88; both in the Watford district.
George was born 20 January 1889 in Buckingham, and attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 8 October 1900 to 4 January 1901. He resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Buckingham, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he lived in Watford, with his mother and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a painter aged 22 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death10*/04/1917
Age at death26*
Place of death
NotesHis brother Ralph, who didn't die in W.W.1, is also commemorated on the Borough Roll of Honour!
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)