Remembered with honour Mory Abbey Military Cemetery: Plot II, Row E, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Harlesden, London, 20 November 1915 for Short Service: a Civil Service clerk aged 37, 5’5½” tall, married of Harlesden; his next-of-kin was his wife. He was posted a Pioneer 18 August 1916 and remustered Sapper 13 March 1917. He served at Home 18 August to 8 November 1916 and in France from 9 November until his death. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at 137th Field Ambulance of wounds received in action.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Herbert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 9 February 1918.
Son of Herbert or Edward COMPTON of Watford and the late Elizabeth Ann (nee OVENDEN) COMPTON; husband of Jessie (nee COX) COMPTON of Harlesden.
His parents married 6 August 1865 at St Margaret’s, Uxbridge, Middx. Elizabeth died 1905 in Watford aged 65, and was buried 13 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Edward died 1924 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 19 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Herbert was born 1878 in Watford, and baptised 31 October 1884 at St Mary’s, Watford. He married 14 March 1903 at Hendon Registry Office, Middx. Jessie possibly died 1969 in the Honiton, Devon, district aged 91.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1881 Census, a scholar aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 13, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, he is proving elusive [not with his family in Watford]. On the 1911 Census, a clerk aged 33, he lived in Willesden, London, with his wife and no children.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)