Reed, H W T or W H T
HENRY WILLIAM or WILLIAM HENRY TERNENT/TERRENT/TENNENT REED
Remembered with honour La Brique Military Cemetery No. 2: Plot I, Row K, Grave 33.
He was gazetted 2 January 1915 to be Second Lieutenant from Cheltenham College Contingent, Junior Division O.T.C.; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being sometime in 1915, and was killed in action.
Son of Lancelot George and Ellen (nee TERNENT) REED of Durham.
His parents married 1872 in the Rothbury, Northumberland, district. Lancelot died 16 January 1917 in Watford aged 71, and was buried 18 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Ellen died 1925 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 6 June, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Henry was born 1884 in Durham, and attended Durham School. He was admitted as Subsizar at Trinity College, Cambridge, 30 September 1905, and awarded his B.A. 1908. He was an assistant master at Cheltenham College, Glos.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 6 he lived in Durham, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 16, he still lived in Durham, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, he was an assistant master at Cheltenham College aged 26.
Date of death02*/05/1915
Age at death30
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)