Seabrook/Seabrooke, W J
WALTER JAMES SEABROOK
Remembered with honour Lijssenhoek Military Cemetery: Plot XXIV, Row C, Grave 11.
He enlisted 21 November 1914 in Watford, no. 35540 Army Service Corps, for Short Service (Duration of the War): a baker aged 19 of Bushey, Herts, 5’7″ tall. At his medical examination it was decided he was not likely to become an efficient soldier and he was discharged 16 December 1914. He enlisted, again, in Marylebone, London; there appears to be no medal card for Walter, but he would have been entitled to the Victory and British War medals. He died of wounds received in action.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Walter in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 6 October 1917; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 21 September 1918 and 20 September 1919.
Son of William and Hannah (nee WILSON) SEABROOK of Oxhey, Herts.
His parents married 7 August 1892 at Holy Trinity, Leverstock Green, Herts. William died 5 April 1936 in Watford aged 73, and was buried 9 April at St James’, Bushey, Herts; Hannah died 1939 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 24 April, also at St James.
Walter was born 31 August 1895 in Hemel Hempstead, Herts, and baptised 13 October 1895 at Holy Trinity, Leverstock Green. He resided in Oxhey.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Oxhey, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a baker and confectioner’s errand boy aged 15, he still lived in Oxhey, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit"A" Battery, 187th Brigade
Date of death21*/09/1917
Age at death21*
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)