Foster, E W
ERNEST WALTER (JACK) FOSTER
Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 1.
He enlisted 14 November 1914: a printer’s machine minder, and served with the Howe Battalions “D” Company from 9 February to 6 May 1915 when he suffered a gun shot wound to the right forearm; he was invalided to England 17 May 1915. He was drafted for the British Expeditionary Force 4 December 1916,and joined the Nelson Battalion 12 December 1916. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and Star medals, and was killed or died as a direct result of enemy action. His wife of Blandford, Dorset, was notified of his death.
There is an In Memoriam for Ernest in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 27 April 1918.
Son of Charles and Alice Elizabeth (nee ANDRISS) FOSTER; husband of Elizabeth Maud (nee SPENCER) FOSTER.
His parents married 13 December 1874 at St Peter’s, Croydon, Surrey. Alice died 1923 in Watford aged 69, and was buried 2 August in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Charles died 1932 in the Watford district aged 76.
Ernest was born 26 April 1890 [not 1889] in Greenwich, London. He attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 11 October to 19 November 1897; then Callowland Board School, Watford, from 25 November 1897 to 29 March 1904. He married 23 February 1916 in Bryanstone Parish Church, Dorset; they had one child.
On the 1891 Census, aged 11 months he lived in Greenwich, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a feeder at a printers aged 20, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
UnitNelson Battalion, Royal Naval Division
Date of death23/04/1917
Age at death27
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)