Williams, C G
CYRIL or CECIL GEORGE WILLIAMS
Remembered with honour St Venant-Robecq Road Cemetery: Plot III, Row B, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 202833 Essex Regiment and Private 11161 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Cyril/Cecil’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Cecil in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 6 July 1918.
Son of Harry Burnett and Harriet (nee NEWTON) WILLIAMS; husband of Nellie (nee READ) WILLIAMS of Watford.
His parents married 1892 in the Axminster, Devon, district. Harry died 21 November 1945 in Battersea, London, aged 77.
Cyril was born 1894 in Battersea, and married 1916 in the Watford district.
On the 1901 Census, at school aged 7 he lived in Tortington, Sussex, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, an apprentice stonemason aged 17, he lived in Battersea, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death17/06/1918
Age at death24*
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)