Doggett, G P
GEORGE PATRICK DOGGETT
Remembered with honour Gorre British and Indian Cemetery: Plot II, Row b, Grave 10.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 29 July 1916; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 21 July 1917, 20 July 1918 and 19 July 1919.
Son of John and Mary Ann (nee CHAMBERS) DOGGETT of Watford.
His parents married 9 June 1894 at St Peter’s, Hammersmith, London. John died 24 January 1935 in Watford aged 83, and was buried 29 January in North Watford Cemetery; Mary died 1936 in Watford aged 83, and was buried 24 January, also in North watford Cemetery. [N.B. There is some confusion regarding the parents’ marriage: on the 1911 Census Mary states that they have been married 29 years; however, there is no trace of a marriage in England & Wales in the period 1881-3 between a John DOGGETT and a Mary Ann; there is only the marriage mentioned above.]
George was born 11 March 1895 in Watford, and baptised 29 May 1895 at St Andrew’s, Watford. He attended first Alexandra Infants’ School, Watford; then Alexandra School from 26 January 1903 to 28 July 1910. He resided in Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a platon hand for a general printer aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
Date of death17/07/1916
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)