Iles, J W
JOHN WILLIAM (JACK) ILES
Remembered with honour Ploegsteert Memorial: Panel 2.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 3212 Hertfordshire Regiment and Privates 7224 and 7544 Northumberland Fusiliers. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for John in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 15 June 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 12 April 1919.
Son of John and Sarah (nee AYRES) ILES of Watford.
His parents married 1 August 1891 at St Andrew’s, Watford. John died 1921 in Watford aged 56, and was buried 11 September in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Sarah died 18 October 1945 in Watford aged 78, and was buried 23 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
John was born 25 December 1896 in Watford, and baptised 20 January 1897 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 10 January to 12 May 1905, from 9 January to 20 November 1906, and from 8 January 1907 to 16 December 1910.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a milk boy aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings.
Date of death11/04/1918
Age at death21
Place of death
NotesRecorded as serving with the Hertfordshire Regiment in the Borough Roll of Honour (a former regiment)
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)