Debeger/De Beger, G M
GEORGE MONTAGUE DE BEGER
Remembered with honour Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery: Plot IX, Row B, Grave 24.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly 12209 Norfolk Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 31 May 1915, and died at 38th Field Ambulance of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of the late Alice Mary (nee PEARCE) DE BEGER; husband of Minnie (nee WOODWARD) DE BEGER of Leverstock Green, Herts.
George PEARCE was born 1885 in Paddington, London, and married first Mabel SPIRES 1907 in the Watford district; they had three children. Mabel died in Bushey, Herts, aged 27, and was buried 14 May at St James’, Bushey. George remarried 24 December 1914 at Holy Trinity, Leverstock Green. Minnie never remarried and died 1958 in the Hemel Hempstead, Herts, district aged 73.
His mother married George William DE BEGER 2 April 1888 at St John the Evangelist, Kensal Green, London. George died 1916 in the Hammersmith, London, district aged 56; Alice died 1911 in the Fulham, London, district aged 53.
On the 1891 Census, aged 5 he lived in Kensington, London, with his mother [step-]father and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, a mason’s labourer aged 15, he lived in New Bushey, Herts, with his mother, [step]father and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a plumber aged 25, he lived in Watford, with his first wife and two children.
Date of death17/08/1915
Age at death30
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)