Cox, V C [or A C]
VICTOR CHARLES COX
Remembered with honour Chatby Memorial.
He enlisted in Hertford 16 October 1914 in the Hertfordshire Yeomanry: aged 27, 5’10” tall, of Watford. He was formerly 2161 Herts Yeomanry and 56532 Corps of Lancers, and was entitled to the British War medal. He was reported missing, believed drowned, in the loss of the troopship S.S. Aragon, torpedoed off-shore of Alexandria. She sailed from Marseilles on 17 December with around 2,700 troops bound for Palestine.
There is an In Memoriam for Ralph in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 December 1918.
Son of Alfred William and Amelia Margaret (nee HARRIS) COX; husband of Lily (nee TOMS) COX.
His parents married 6 December 1879 at St Dunstan’s, Stepney, London. Amelia possibly died 1916 in the Chelmsford, Essex, district aged 58.
Victor was born 1884 in Stoke next Guildford, Surrey, and baptised 20 April 1884 at St John the Evangelist, Stoke. He married 29 August 1908 at St Andrew’s, Watford; they had two children. He resided in Watford, and worked as a guard for the London and North Western Railway Company. He was in the V.A.D. Hospital, Hertford, 19 May 1917 to 3 July 1917 having his appendix removed. Lily remarried 2 August 1920 at St Mary’s, Watford, to Harry THORNE, and died 1969 in the St Alban’s, Herts. district aged 85.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 7 he lived in Stoke, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, a groom aged 17, he still lived in Stoke, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a motor bus conductor with the L.N.W.R. aged 27, he lived in Watford, with his wife and one child.
UnitRailway Operating Division
Date of death30/12/1917
Age at death33
Place of death
NotesRecorded as COX A C in the Borough Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)