Clarke, W J
WILLIAM JEFFERIE CLARKE
Remembered with honour Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery: Plot II, Row B, Grave 34.
He enlisted at Sun Street, London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 18 March 1915, the medals were applied for by his widow of Harlesden, London N.W.10. He died at St Omer. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 18 March 1916.
Husband of Grace Winifred (nee ATTHILL) CLARKE.
His parents are proving elusive.
William’s birth is also proving elusive. He married 1912 in the Paddington, London, district. Grace remarried 1918 in the Willesden, London, district to Charles H KING, and died 1981 in the Bedford district aged 84.
William is proving elusive on the various Census.
Unit7th (City of London) Battalion
Date of death06/03/1916
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)