Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 7C.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Francis’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Francis in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 December 1916; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 20 October 1917, 19 October 1918 and 18 October 1919.
Son of Alexander Thomas and Mary Ann (nee JONES) ROSS; husband of Gertrude Kate (nee WIGGS) ROSS.
His parents married 8 February 1890 at St Andrew’s, Watford. Alexander died 1927 in Watford aged 61, and was buried 12 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1938 in Watford aged 73, and was buried 2 August, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Francis was born 30 December 1891 in Watford, and baptised 27 March 1892 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Sotheron Road Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 9 January 1899 to 26 March 1902. He married 15 December 1913 at St Mary’s, Watford; they had one child. Gertrude never remarried and died 1956 in the Watford district aged 62.
On the 1901 Census, aged 9 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a baker’s assistant aged 19, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)