Roden, A D
ARTHUR DENNIS RODEN
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 13C.
He enlisted at Somerset House, London; was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Arthur in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 September 1916, and an article in the issue dated 4 November 1916.
Son of Sarah Jane (nee DENNIS) and the late Edward William RODEN.
His parents married 3 July 1881 at St Mary’s, Marylebone, London. Edward died 22 June 1915 in Watford aged 52, and was buried 26 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Sarah died 1945 in Pinner, Middx, aged 86, and was buried 22 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery. There is a Death announcement for Edward in the Observer dated June 1915.
Arthur was born 6 October 1890 in Sydenham, London, and attended either Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, or Victoria Boys’ School, Watford, from 22 November 1897 to 14 October 1904. He resided in Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 6 months he lived in Lewisham, London, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, an etcher aged 20, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit1st/15th (County of London) Battalion (Prince of Wales' Own Civil Service Rifles)
Date of death15/09/1916
Age at death25
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)