Birch, A J
ALFRED JOHN BIRCH
Remembered with honour Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery: Plot II, Row C, Grave 15.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 5412 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Alfred’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Henry Jonathan Joseph and Elizabeth (nee HOBBS) BIRCH.
His parents married 5 August 1888 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. Elizabeth died 1920 in Watford aged 54, and was buried 24 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Henry died 1932 in Watford aged 66, and was buried 10 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Alfred was born 18 January 1898 in Watford, and baptised 26 April 1898 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Watford Fields school; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 9 March 1908 to 1 March 1909. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a schoolboy aged 13, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings.
Date of death27/09/1918
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)