Hill, S G
SIDNEY/SYDNEY GEORGE HILL
Remembered with honour Loos Memorial: Panel 41.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 9 June 1915, and was killed or died of wounds received in action. As part of the Battle of Loos, the Battalion was to attack at Vermelles and Cit-St-Elie on 25 September 1915. The Battalion moved across and over the first line German trench, practically without casualties. As soon as it began to advance across the open behind the German front line, it came under very heavy rifle fire, from which the Battalion suffered severely. Unfortunately, Sidney’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Sydney in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 16 September 1916.
Son of William and the late Harriett (nee TAYLOR) HILL.
His parents married 24 December 1892 at St Andrew’s, Watford. Harriet died 1914 in Watford aged 49, and was buried 25 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; William possibly died 1940 in the Watford district aged 75.
Sydney was born 13 October 1896 in Watford, and baptised 18 December 1896 at Christ Church, Watford. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 5 January 1903 to 14 October 1910. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, an errand boy aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings.
Date of deathon or since 25/09/1915
Age at death18
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)