Roshier, E A or E J
ERNEST ALPE or ERNEST JAMES ROSHIER
Remembered with honour St Vaast Post Military Cemetery: Plot III, Row D, Grave 5.
He attested at Reading 27 May 1915: a telegraphist, 5’9″ tall, C of E, aged 23 of Watford. Was in Reading War Hospital 9 July to 3 August 1915 with anthrax of the left cheek, and arrived in France 29 January 1916. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action.
There is a Death announcement for Ernest in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 13 May 1916.
Son of Walter George and Charlotte (nee DEACON) ROSHIER.
His parents married 1885 in the Leighton Buzzard, Beds, district. Walter died 1936 in Watford aged 77, and was buried 9 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Charlotte died 1952 in Watford aged 89, and was buried 10 July, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ernest was born 12 June 1894 in Watford, and baptised 22 August 1897 at St Mary’s, Watford. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, an apprentice engineer aged 17, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
UnitSignal Company, 35th Division
Date of death01/05/1916
Age at death21
Place of death
NotesSt James' Memorial may list him as C A ROSHIER
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)