Dean, W J or J W
WILLIAM JAMES or JAMES WILLIAM DEAN
Remembered with honour Doiran Memorial.
He enlisted in Bedford, and was formerly 18259 Bedfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 3 October 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of James (or John) William and Emily (nee GOWER) DEAN of Bushey, Herts.
His parents married 23 August 1884 in Aldbury, Herts. Emily died 1931 in Bushey aged 66, and was buried 8 July at St James’, Bushey; James died 1937 in Bushey aged 77, and was buried 24 March, also at St James.
William was born 11 September 1890 in Harrow Weald, Middx, and baptised 16 November 1890 at All Saints, Harrow Weald. He attended Callowland Board School, Watford, from 7 September 1899 to 18 July 1902.
On the 1891 Census, aged 7 months he lived in Harrow Weald, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, a general labourer aged 20, he lived in Bushey, with his parents and nine siblings.
Unit"B" Company, 10th Battalion
Date of death07/12/1915
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)