Remembered with honour Locre No.10 Cemetery: Row B, Grave 8.
He enlisted 31 January 1916 for Short Service (Duration of the War) at Hounslow, Middx: a professional golfer aged 25, 5’9″ tall, C of E, of Ashford, Middx; his next-of-kin was his father. He served at Home till 23 January 1917; embarked from Devonport 24 January 1917 arriving Salonika 7 February; re-embarked 28 June 1917 arrving in Alexandria 3 June; embarked again 17 June 1918 arriving Tarento 22 June; and served with the B.E.F. until he was killed in action. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, which were sent to his father.
Son of George and Ellen (nee JOHNSON) JOHNS.
His parents married 1883 in the Portsea, Hants, district.
Jack was born 1891 in Fulham, London, and resided in Ashford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 months he lived in Fulham, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he lived in Ashford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a golf assistant aged 20, he still lived in Ashford, with his parents and five siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)