Remembered with honour Loos Memorial: Panel 13 to 15.
He enlisted in Guildford, Surrey; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 21 April 1915, and death was presumed 25 September 1915. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of George and Sabina Elizabeth (nee THACKHAM) VIRGIN of Bushey, Herts.
His parents married 21 December 1885 at St Mary’s, Watford. George died 1913 in the Uxbridge, Middx, district aged 50, and was buried 5 November at St James’, Bushey; Sabina died 1944 in Bushey aged 86, and was buried 27 March, also at St James.
George was born 22 April 1889 in Watford [not Coventry, Warks], and baptised 28 June 1889 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. He resided in Coventry.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a general labourer aged 21 he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of deathon or since 25/09/1915
Age at death26
Place of death
Notesserved as BAKER
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)