Edney, H B
HAROLD BERNARD EDNEY
Remembered with honour Messines Ridge British Cemetery: Plot V, Row C, Grave 4.
He enlisted in Dover, Kent; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died whilst a Prisoner of War. Unfortunately, Harold’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Gertrude (nee COOK) and the late James EDNEY.
His parents married 7 June 1895 at St Mary’s Church, Dover. James died 1896 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district aged 35, and was buried 15 February at St Mary’s, Redbourn, Herts.
Harold was born 1896 in Harpenden, Herts, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he was a child at Kensington and Chelsea District Branch School. On the 1911 Census, a soldier in the 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment aged 14, he was stationed at Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, Staffs.
Date of death03/11/1914
Age at death18
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)