How, W A
WILLIAM ALEXANDER HOW
Remembered with honour Loos Memorial: Panel 45 to 49.
He attested 8 October 1906 for Short Service (7 years with the Colours 5 years in the Reserves) in the Royal Scots Fusiliers, no. 9124: a labourer aged 18, 5’3″ tall, Presbyterian, currently serving in the 4th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment Militia. He served at Home 8 October 1906 to 6 January 1909, during which time he was posted to the 2nd Battalion 10 November 1906, and posted to the 1st Battalion 6 January 1909. He then served in India from 7 January 1909 to 9 October 1910, and in South Africa from 10 October 1910 to 19 March 1914, during which time he was appointed Lance-Corporal 11 April 1913, and extended his service to 12 years with the Colours 16 June 1913. Home again from 20 March to 9 August 1914.
Served with the B.E.F. 10 August 1914 to 1 January 1915, when he was sent to England on the Hospital Ship Oxfordshire suffering from lumbago; he had been promoted to Corporal 9 August 1914. Served at Home 2 January 1915 to 30 October 1916, during which time he was posted to the 3rd Battalion 13 May 1915, appointed Lance-Sergeant 22 June 1916, and promoted Sergeant 24 March 1916. Served with the B.E.F. again from 31 October 1916 to 26 February 1918; posted to the 7th Battalion 31 October 1916 and back to the 2nd Battalion 4 May 1917. He was discharged in consequence of being appointed to a commission as Second Lieutenant Royal Scots Fusiliers 27 February 1918, now aged 29, 5’4″ tall, posted to the 1st Battalion next day, gazetted 13 April 1918. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 14 August 1914, and was wounded and missing, presumed killed in action.
There is an article about William in the Watford Illustrated dated 30 January 1915; also a brief article and a Death announcement in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 December 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 12 April 1919.
Son of William Thomas Charles and Annie (nee SMITH) HOW; husband of Elizabeth Jane (nee PARKER) HOW of Watford.
His parents married 1887 in the Watford district. Annie died 1923 in Watford aged 56, and was buried 10 September in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; William died 1939 in Watford aged 71, and was buried 26 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
William was born 1888 in Watford, and married 26 January 1915 at St Mary’s, Watford; they had one child. Elizabeth possibly remarried 1927 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district to Charles W STANYON.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a Lance-Corporal Royal Scots Fusiliers aged 22, he was stationed in Harrismith, Orange Free State, South Africa.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)