Bellis, H H
HERBERT HENRY BELLIS
Remembered with honour Meath Cemetery: Plot II, Row C, Grave 5.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 30899 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Herbert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Herbert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 9 November 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 20 September 1919.
Son of Mary Ann (nee MILEHAM) and the late John BELLIS.
His parents married 5 October 1891 at St Lawrence’s, Little Stanmore, Middx. John died 1916 in Watford aged 48, and was buried 11 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Mary died 1949 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 6 May, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Herbert was born 1899 in Watford, and baptised 25 June 1899 at St Andrew’s, Watford. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a schoolboy aged 11, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and eight siblings.
Date of death21/09/1918
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)