Smalley, H E
HORACE EDWARD SMALLEY
Remembered with honour Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery: Plot X, Row G, Grave 2.
He originally attested 14 November 1906 at Mill Hill, Middx, in the Army Service Corps (Drivers) for Short Service (2 years with the Colours, 10 years in the Reserves): a painter aged 18, 5’2″ tall, C of E, and joined at Woolwich 16 November 1906. He was discharged 11 February 1907 having claimed it on payment of £10 within 3 months of his attestation. He re-enlisted at Woolwich, London; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action.
There is a brief article about Horace in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 12 May 1917; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 27 April 1918.
Son of Henry and Selina Annie (nee LUFF) SMALLEY; husband of Eva Constance (nee GRAND) SMALLEY of Northwood, Middx.
His parents married 2 August 1887 at Christ Church, Barnet, Herts. Henry died 1934 aged 79; Selina died 1955 aged 91; both in the Watford district.
Horace was born 1888 in Hougham, Lincs, and baptised 1 July 1888 at All Saints, Hougham. He married 1914 in the Watford district; they had one child. He resided in Northwood. Eva never remarried and died 5 May 1955 in Watford aged 66.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Hougham, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he lived in Enfield, Middx, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a groom aged 23 he was a lodger in Potters Bar, Herts.
Date of death01/05/1917
Age at death28
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)