Remembered with honour Railway Dugouts Burial Ground: Special Memorial C.33.
He enlisted 2 March 1916 in Watford, and was called up for service 30 November 1916: a Reservist of Watford, a plumber and fitter aged 20. He remained with the Reservists until transferred 9 January 1917 to the 30th T.R. Battalion at Dover Harbour. He went with the B.E.F. to France 9 May 1917 and was posted 25 May 1917 to the 8th Battalion West Kent Regiment. He was formerly Private M/274180 R.A.S.C. M.T.; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Reginald in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 July 1917; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 29 June 1918 and 28 June 1919.
Son of Edward and Lizzie (nee SIMMONDS) SMITH.
His parents married 9 September 1893 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. Lizzie possibly died 1934 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district aged 67, and was buried April in Hatfield Road Cemetery, St Alban’s. Edward died 1945 in Watford aged 79, and was buried 6 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
Reginald was born 5 October 1896 in Watford, and baptised 4 November 1896 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 11 January 1904 to 7 October 1910.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a clerk at confectionery works aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death28/06/1917
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)