Remembered with honour Green Hill Cemetery: Plot II, Row C, Grave 26.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 5 November 1914, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Basil’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Basil in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 25 September 1915.
Son of Jesse and Elizabeth (nee COX) LOVESAY.
His parents married 22 December 1875 at St Mary the Virgin, Bulwell, Notts. Jesse died 18 June 1940 in Watford aged 84, and was buried 21 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Elizabeth died 1946 in Watford aged 89, and was buried 11 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Basil was born 4 January 1897 in Bushey, Herts. He attended Beechen Grove Board School from 10 January to 12 May 1905, and again from 9 January 1906 to 10 January 1911. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1911 Census, a factory hand aged 14, he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death21/08/1915
Age at death18
Place of death
NotesHis brother Roland died 18 July 1917 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)