Lesley/Lisley, A W
ALBERT WILLIAM LESLEY
Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 5.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 2862 Hertfordshire Yeomanry. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Albert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Albert in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 27 April 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 22 March 1919.
Son of William and Lizzie (nee CARTER) LESLEY; husband of Cecilia May (nee NORTH) LESLEY of Watford.
His parents married 1887 in the Amersham, Bucks, district. Lizzie died 1931 in London NW1 aged 71, and was buried 25 April in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; William died 1944 in Bushey, Herts, aged 84, and was buried 11 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Albert was born 1892 in Watford, and married 13 November 1915 at Christ Church, Watford. He resided in Watford. Cecilia remarried 1920 in the Watford district to Frank BEDWELL, and died 1960 in the Watford district aged 69.
On the 1901 Census, aged 9 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a plumbing lad aged 19, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death21/03/1918
Age at death26
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)