Christopher, J R
JOHN ROBERT CHRISTOPHER
Remembered with honour Le Touret Memorial: Panel 10 and 11.
He originally enlisted 12 February 1902, and re-enlisted in Hitchin, Herts; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 August 1914, and was killed in action during the First Battle of Ypres. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of John and Mary Ann (nee MEDLEY) CHRISTOPHER; husband of Jane (nee JEPPS) CHRISTOPHER.
His parents married 1876 in the Bradford, Yorks, district. Mary died 1932 aged 77; John died 1936 aged 81; both in the Hitchin district.
John was born 1882 in Sleaford, Lincs, and married 1912 in the Watford district; they had one child. He resided in Hitchin.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 9 he lived in Hitchin, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1901 Census, he is proving elusive. On the 1911 Census, a postman aged 29, he was a boarder in Pinner Green, Middx.
Date of death09/11/1914
Age at death32
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)