Remembered with honour Vis-en-Artois Memorial: Panel 9.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 38761 East Surrey Regiment, and Private 25997 Royal Berkshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, James’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for James in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 16 November 1918.
Son of George and Kate Harriet (nee ALLEN) FIELD.
His parents married 10 January 1891 at St James’, Bushey, Herts. George died 1932 in Watford aged 66, and was buried 29 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Kate died 1949 in Watford aged 83, and was buried 13 May, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
James was born 1899 in Watford, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Oxhey, Herts, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 11, he still lived in Oxhey, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death21/10/1918
Age at death18
Place of death
NotesHis brother George died 1 August 1916 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)