Phelps, A W
ALBERT WILLIAM PHELPS
Remembered with honour Hooge Crater Cemetery: Plot VII, Row G, Grave 4.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 31072 Bedfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Albert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of James and Lily (nee RUCKLEY) PHELPS.
He parents married 20 September 1897 at Sts Peter and Paul, North Curry, Somerset. James died 1924 in Watford aged 49, and was buried 30 June in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Lily died 1963 in St Alban’s, Herts, aged 87, and was buried 30 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Albert was born 1898 in Harrow, Middx, and baptised 13 November 1898 at St John the Baptist, Greenhill, Middx. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death25/09/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)