Humphreys/Humphrey, T W B
THOMAS WILLIAM BROOKS HUMPHREYS
Remembered with honour Etaples Military Cemetery: Plot XVII, Row N, Grave 18A.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly 14211 Bedfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at 26 General Hospital, Etaples, of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Thomas’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Thomas in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 9 June 1917.
Son of Eleanor Kate (nee HUMPHREYS) TILLEY; husband of Mary Ann (nee CORDAS) HUMPHREYS of Thurlby, Lincs.
Thomas was born 1893 in Withering Northants [ should be Wittering, Cambs – formerly Northants?]. and baptised there 14 May 1893. He married 1916 in the Middlesbrough, Yorks, district. Mary never remarried and died 1939 in the Grantham, Lincs, district aged 50.
His mother married William TILLEY 1895 in the Stamford, Lincs, district. William died 1943 in the Bourne, Lincs, district aged 75; Kate died 17 August 1959 in Thurlby aged 91.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Oundle, Northants, with his mother, step-father and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a wheelwright apprentice aged 17, he still lived in Oundle, with his mother, step-father and three siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)