Burch/Birch, W H
WILLIAM HENRY BIRCH
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 12C.
He enlisted in Watford 12 December 1915: a clerk aged 28 of Bushey, Herts, 5’7½” tall. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action.
There is a Death announcement for William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 December 1916; plus an in Memoriam in the issue dated 17 November 1917.
Son of Samuel George and Alice Ada (nee PERREN) BURCH; husband of Eleanor Elizabeth (nee GOODWIN) BURCH of Bushey.
His parents married 1886 in the Romsey, Hants, district. Alice died 1887 in the Romsey district aged 28. Samuel remarried 1889 in the St Pancras, London, district to Eliza Ann BOUND. Eliza died 1934 aged 84; Samuel died 1938 aged 77; both in the Watford district.
William was born 1887 in Lockerley, Hants, and married 21 December 1912 at Holy Trinity, Frogmore, Herts; they had two children. He resided in Bushey. Eleanor remarried 1932 in the Watford district to Frank H LANE, and died 23 November 1969 in Hatch End, Middx, aged 79.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 he lived in St Pancras, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 13 he lived in Cheshunt, Herts, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, an insurance agent aged 23, he was a boarder in Godstone, Surrey.
Date of death13*/11/1916
Age at death28
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)