Remembered with honour Melcombe Regis Cemetery.
He attested 8 September 1914 at Broadmeadows, Victoria, Australia: a farrier aged 37, married, 5’8″ tall, C of E, his next-of-kin his wife of South Yarra, Victoria. He embarked 20 October 1914 aboard H.M.A.T. Marere. He had previously served with the 15th Hussars for 18½ years, and was taken on the strength of the D.A.C. 15 May 1916. On 10 April 1917 he was declared permanently unfit for general service, but fit for home service. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, and died at Sydney Hall Military Hospital, Weymouth, Dorset.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Alfred in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 July 1917.
Son of the late James and Maria (nee BECKLEY) GRIFFIN; husband of Emily H GRIFFIN of Albert Park, Victoria.
His parents married 27 November 1857 Christ Church, Chorleywood, Herts. Maria died 1908 in Watford aged 68, and was buried 18 August in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; James died 1909 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 8 February, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Alfred was born 1879 in Watford, and baptised 13 July 1879 at Christ Church, Chorleywood. He possibly sailed from Liverpool to Sydney 3 January 1901 aboard the Runic, a clerk aged 24. He presumably married in Australia.
On the 1881 Census, aged 2 he lived at Chorleywood Common, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1891 Census, aged 12 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 and 1911 Census, he is living in Australia.
Unit1st Division Ammunition Column
Date of death15/07/1917
Age at death39*
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)