Pearce, E J
ERNEST JOHN PEARCE
Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot L, Row 9, Grave 703.
He enlisted in Watford; appears to have no medals, and died at Felixstowe, Suffolk. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Ernest in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 3 March 1917; as well as In Memoriams in the issues dated 23 February 1918 and 22 February 1919.
Son of John and the late Julia (nee OSBORN) PEARCE; husband of Lilian (nee WHILEY) PEARCE of Watford.
His parents married 5 March 1878 at the Jesus Church, Enfield, Middx. Julia died 1885 in the Epsom, Surrey, district aged 37, and was buried 30 December at St Martin’s, Epsom; John died 1928 in the Epsom district aged 78.
Ernest was born 1880 in Epsom, and baptised 6 June 1880 at Christ Church, Epsom. He married 19 August 1911 at Christ Church, Watford; they had two children. He resided in Watford, and was buried 24 February.
On the 1881 Census, aged 11 months he lived in Epsom, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1891 Census, aged 10 he still lived in Epsom, with his widowed father and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, a printing machinist aged 20, he was a boarder in Plumstead, Kent. On the 1911 Census, a printer’s machine minder aged 30, he was a boarder in Watford.
Date of death19/02/1917
Age at death36
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)