Remembered with honour Vimy Memorial.
He enlisted 9 December 1915 at Edmonton, Alberta: a farmer aged 28, unmarried, 5’10½” tall, a Wesleyan; his next-of-kin was his brother of Saskatchewan. He was killed in action at Vimy Ridge in an attack at Arleui-en-Gohelle.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Alleyne in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 12 May 1917.
Son of John Richie and Kathleen Rose (nee BENNETT) IBBOTSON of Rickmansworth, Herts.
His parents married 1882 in the Winchester, Hants, district. John died 10 December 1929 aged 74; Kathleen died 18 September 1935 aged79; both in Rickmansworth.
Alleyne was born 28 June 1887 in Rickmansworth, and attended Watford Grammar School from September 1896 to December 1903. He possibly emigrated 15 February 1905 aboard the SIcilian from Liverpool to Halifax, Nova Scotia, an adult male labourer.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 he lived in Rickmansworth, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 13 he still lived in Rickmansworth, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a farmer aged 24 he lived in Alberta, a Methodist, unmarried, naturalised 1908.
Unit10th Battalion, Alberta Regiment
Date of death28/04/1917
Age at death29
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)