Read, (J) H
JOSEPH HARRY READ
Remembered with honour Ridge Wood Military Cemetery: Plot I, Row U, Grave 3.
He attested 4 February 1915 at Toronto, Ontario, into the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force: a bricklayer aged 23, unmarried, 5’9″ tall, Methodist; next-of-kin his mother of Watford. He was killed in action in the trenches at St Eloi.
Son of Joseph Henry and Ellen Georgina (nee SAYELL) READ of Watford.
His parents married 2 April 1888 at St Mary’s, Ivinghoe, Bucks. Joseph died 1926 in Watford aged 60, and was buried 8 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Ellen died 1952 in Watford aged 84, and was buried 2 July, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Harry was born 24 April 1891 in Aylesbury, Bucks, and went to Canada aboard the Teutonic sailing March 1913 from Liverpool to Halifax, Nova Scotia: a bricklayer aged 22.
On the 1901 Census, aged 9 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a bricklayer aged 19, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and nine siblings.
Unit20th Battalion, Central Ontario Regiment
Date of death14/05/1916
Age at death25
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)