Drake, H C
HENRY CHARLES DRAKE
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 19 to 23 and 162.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private T/4/107984 Royal Army Service Corps. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 June 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Henry’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Henry and Florence Moore (nee TIBBS) DRAKE; husband of Clara Amelia (nee COLLER) DRAKE of Oxhey, Herts.
His parents married 25 December 1887 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. Henry died 20 September 1925 in Watford aged 58, and was buried in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Florence died 1945 in Watford aged 75, and was buried 10 September, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Henry was born 3 October 1888 in Bushey, Herts, and baptised 18 May 1889 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. He married 15 February 1916 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. Clara never remarried, and died 1968 in the Watford district aged 73.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in New Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, he is proving elusive.
Unit24th (Tyneside Irish) Battalion
Date of death23*/10/1917
Age at death29
Place of death
NotesHis brother Ernest died 16 January 1915 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)