Thorn, H B
HAROLD BOAZ THORN
Remembered with honour Bedford House Cemetery: Enclosure No. 4, Plot I, Row I, Grave 58.
He enlisted in Hounslow, Middx, and was formerly Private 21953 5th (Reserve) Battalion Royal Fusiliers and Private 5355 22nd London Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Harold’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Harold in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 2 June 1917.
Son of Boaz and Annie Rebecca (nee HAWKINS) THORN.
His parents married 1892 in the Watford district. Annie died 1943 in the Hendon, Middx, district aged 74; Boaz died 1946 in the Staines, Middx, district aged 80.
Harold was born 1897 in Watford, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, an assistant engineer aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings
Unit22nd (County of London) Battalion (The Queen's)
Date of death13/05/1917
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)