Dudley, N M C
NOEL MONTAGU CHARLES DUDLEY
Remembered with honour Etaples Military Cemetery: Plot I, Row A, Grave 60.
He attested 20 November 1915 at Dukes Road, London W.C. in the Territorial Force 4 years service in the U.K.: 6’1″ tall, a clerk in the Traffic Dept L & N W R; his next-of-kin was his father of Watford. He was formerly Private 5200 28th Battalion, London Regiment (Artists’ Rifles), and was discharged in consequence of being appointed Second Lieutenant in the 5th (Reserve) Battalion, King’s Liverpool Regiment. He served at Home from 20 November 1915 to 9 July 1916, was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at No. 1 British Red Cross Hospital, France, of wounds received in action at High Wood.
There is an article about Noel in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 September 1916, and an article and Death announcement in the issue dated 14 October 1916.
Son of Francis Montagu and Margaret (nee WOODHOUSE) DUDLEY of Watford.
His parents married 3 June 1890 at St Lawrence’s, Coppenhall, Staffs. Margaret died 6 January 1931 in Oxhey, Herts, aged 65, and was buried 9 January at St James’, Bushey, Herts; Francis died 1937 in Oxhey aged 71, and was buried 16 August, also at St James.
Noel was born 26 December 1896 or 1897 in Durban, Natal, South Africa, and attended Watford Grammar School from January 1906 to July 1911.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, aged 14 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit1st/5th Battalion (Territorial)
Date of death11/10/1916
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)