Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 32.
He attested 4 February 1915 in Ottawa: a baker aged 21, 5’9″ tall, unmarried, C of E; next-of-kin his mother of Watford. He was killed in action in positions south-east of Passendaele.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Eric in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 10 November 1917.
Son of William and Elizabeth Ann (nee WALKER) RODNIGHT.
His parents married 1877 in the Potterspury, Northants, district. William died 13 December 1917 in the Aylesbury, Bucks, district aged 73, and was buried 17 December at St James’, Bushey; Elizabeth died 16 August 1930 in Kenton, Middx, aged 79, and was buried 20 August in Wealdstone Cemetery, Middx.
Eric was born 20 March 1893 in Bedford, and baptised 2 July 1893 at St Leonard’s, Bedford. He attended Ampthill Road Boys’ School, Bedford, from 16 October 1899 to 25 September 1903; then Wendover National Boys’ School, Bucks, from October 1903. He possibly emigrated 24 May 1912 aboard the Allen Line Virginian Liverpool to Quebec, described as a labourer aged 30!
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Bedford, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, a student aged 17 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death29/10/1917
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)